View Single Post
Old December 19 2013, 05:48 PM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts about Filmmaking

Recently I've rewatched The Hobbit and I came to the same conclusions at the start of my thread. Films get more and more over the top. And moments that could have been pivotal, memorable, are executed in a generic, blink-and-you'll miss it fashion.

Compare the scene where the Dwarfs flee from Goblin town to the scene where the company flees from the Balrog (which is quite a good comparison to make since AUJ and FotR have the same structure). In The Hobbit, there is SO MUCH thrown at you. In Fellowship, a lot less happens. They run, they get to the broken stairway while getting shot at a few times, then they get to the bridge, and then Gandalf confronts the Balroq. Done. In The Hobbit, they run and run and run and I can't even list all the stuff that happens. I think they take a spear and shove Goblins out of the way, cut a few bridges down, etc... the most memorable piece was where Gandalf blasts the rock and it smashes Goblins while the company runs after it. But all of that goes by so quickly, and is pretty unmemorable.

I THINK that if they had made that scene ten years ago, the part with the rock would have been the focus of the sequence, and the other generic stuff would have been toned down quite a bit.

Is it about resting points perhaps? In recent films I feel that I have no place in the films where my mind can rest and reflect on what is happening right now. Sometimes it even feels like the characters make decisions way too quickly? It's like stuff is over choreographed? You can see that in some fight scenes in a few movies, where fights look like a dance rather than an actual fight, simply because each of the opponents knows what attack they have to block before it even happens.

The final battle in Man of Steel is similarly confusing. Even though that may have been the intention, because Superman and Zod have superspeed and shit. There is that bit that I had to play over and over again to understand it. Superman and Zod crash into a garage building. Shortly after that, Superman punches Zod and has him on the ground, then he strikes out for a second punch, but gets hit by a car falling down from a collapsing garage building. Then he throws it away and Zod escapes. The idea sounds actually like a great part of a fight sequence. But the way it's executed was just way too fast. I don't have superspeed.

Last edited by JarodRussell; December 19 2013 at 06:00 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote