View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 06:02 PM   #13
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: The TWOK Enterprise's torpedo bay revisited

starburst wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
As far as state-of-the-art ships being used for training, the Defiant-class USS Valiant was being used in DS9 so it's not unheard of.
The same episode shows Jake and Nog shocked that a bunch of cadets had such a ship, that was meant to be a temporary perk with the ship being redeployed to Sol Fleet defense at the least when they got back.

I doubt starfleet would relegate the Enterprise from a front line exploration ship to a training vessel without good reason. Why waist a Constitution when they could have a survey ship instead?
Perhaps it was Captain Spock's choice? Or the cadets were TOS versions of the elite red squad?

starburst wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
The theory that has been around for a while is that the loading rail in TWOK / TUC feeds a multi-round magazine at the each launcher to facilitate rapid-firing.
I like that theory myself but it still raises a fairly lengthy reload time depending on how many rounds the magainzine initially holds.
Very true. I don't think we've seen the E fire off a bunch of torpedoes in succession so I'm not sure how many the magazine would initially hold. My guess is at least 2 since in TSFS they got 2 off from the starboard launcher in rapid succession.