View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 05:44 PM   #958
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

BK613 wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
^ the DE model isn't extremely accurate tho (great for SD in 2001.)
One example:
Notice the extreme hump on the TB superstructure and the horizontal top and up-sloped bottom of the "photon exhaust" in the image in this post (compare to seam above as well as deck lines you overlayed.)
Yes, I've acknowledged in a previous post that the TB section has some inaccuracies.
Not the only area with inaccuracies. Other changes include flattened complex surfaces (like the top of the TB bay and on the lower sensor dome "boxes"), window placement, and structural shapes (like the 3 protrusions around the deflector dish.) And I use the word changes here because some variations could be deliberate. Not hard to imagine the desire to reduce polygons so the rendering times could be increased on that turn-of-the-century technology LOL.
The question then is did they alter the width of the torpedo bay and dorsal sections in their quest to cut back on polys.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
I only partially agree with you.
And I don't have a problem with that. This place would be boring if we all agreed LOL. Seriously though, I come here to exchange ideas and see different perspectives, not litigate differences of opinion.
IMO, this CG model is in orthographic view and as you noted, appeared in the DE film. We can make an accurate statement about this CG Enterprise as a representative of the refit Enterprise whereas we cannot make such a claim of the perspective-distorted photos and screen captures.
And normally I would agree with you about the value of orthos, if this CG model was a decent representation of the primary filming model. IMO, it is not and using it (to me anyway) is akin to using the AMT model to make judgments about the TOS filming model.
Since it was used as a stand-in for the TMP filming miniature it does have more weight than say an AMT model that never stood in for the 11' TOS miniature.

Although you don't sound like you want to get into a litigating conversation then I'll leave it at this:

1. We can get the max width of the torpedo bay and dorsal for the CGI DE version.
2. We cannot get the max width for the filmed version with the forward and stern photo views.
3. We do not know at this time where and what measurements were made of the filmed model as presented by the Jim Slade or Gary Kerr blueprints.

(and FWIW the front and back views are not true orthos; you can see the effects of perspective on the engines.)
Can you point this out graphically? There is an odd thing on the interior facing parts of the nacelles from the stern view but that appears more of a photoshop/editing issue than a perspective problem.

Edit: Just for clarification: I'm not saying the DE Enterprise is the defacto version of the TMP filming miniature to go by. I'm saying that it's the only one that we have an ortho for that also was onscreen. Until there is some definitive measurements of the TMP filming miniature of the torpedo bay and dorsal and where the points were measured then there is nothing better to go on, IMO.

Last edited by blssdwlf; December 18 2013 at 05:55 PM.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote