View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #706
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So the War Doctor really was originally written for Eccleston? I did note in my review that it felt like the role was originally written for him.
"Intended to be" rather than "written," I think. I doubt there was ever a completed script for Eccleston. When Eccleston passed, Moffat says he went with his back-up plan, which was "the Mayfly Doctor."

If there was a scene for Eccleston written, it was probably the moment when the War Doctor meets Ten and Eleven. The breezy attitude he has in that moment is very much as odds with the rest of the portrayal of the character.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Hmm, though this has me wondering. What if the only reason Eccleston turned it down was just because Moffat didn't have a completed script at the meeting and he just shrugged and walked away as you say? As great as John Hurt was, it really is a wasted opportunity if we missed out on having an actual Doctor return just because of Moffat's script-writing procrastination.
I can't see Eccleston agreeing to take part unless there were a script; he'd want to see the kind of material he was getting since this would have been a project that probably didn't pay much. (He's made no secret of the fact that he takes crappy roles for money, but if there's little money involved it would probably work the other way, too; he'd have to see that it were a good and meaty role.) Harve Bennett had the same problem with the Star Trek films. The actors wanted to see the scripts before they signed. Heck, even Tom Baker wanted to see a script for "The Five Doctors"; he read what existed, and then passed.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote