View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 03:45 PM   #705
The Wormhole
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I think that what we got worked out for the best, though. We got John Hurt as the Doctor! According to the new DWM, Hurt did, in fact, fill the narrative role that Eccleston would have filled. We wouldn't have had John Hurt in "The Day of the Doctor," and a world without John Hurt as the Doctor, especially a world without pictures of a boozy John Hurt and a Dalek in Buckingham Palace, scarcely bears thinking of.
So the War Doctor really was originally written for Eccleston? I did note in my review that it felt like the role was originally written for him.

Hmm, though this has me wondering. What if the only reason Eccleston turned it down was just because Moffat didn't have a completed script at the meeting and he just shrugged and walked away as you say? As great as John Hurt was, it really is a wasted opportunity if we missed out on having an actual Doctor return just because of Moffat's script-writing procrastination.
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote