View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
starburst
Fleet Captain

Re: The TWOK Enterprise's torpedo bay revisited

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
starburst wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
To me this somehow doesn't sound right. The Enterprise underwent a major refit with considerable state-of-the-art upgrades one decade earlier and by the time of TWOK she qualifies no longer as a starship of the line but has been downgraded to a cadet vessel?
I preferred it when Enterprise was state of the art in TMP... One of the very few things I didnt like about WOK.
Technically there isn't anything about the Enterprise that appears to be out-dated in TWOK. Yes, Admiral Morrow calls out her age, but we're not given anything specifically wrong with the Enterprise in TSFS other than the political hot potato that was going on.
Maybe out of date is the wrong word as she didnt seem any less than Reliant or any other ship (apart from Excelsior obviously). I would guess the idea that shes been left behind is connected to the general theme of aging during the film and then Morrow's comments in the next film.

The other thing would be the Directors choice of making the sets look more 'worn' and lived in which he also did with TUC.

As far as state-of-the-art ships being used for training, the Defiant-class USS Valiant was being used in DS9 so it's not unheard of.
The same episode shows Jake and Nog shocked that a bunch of cadets had such a ship, that was meant to be a temporary perk with the ship being redeployed to Sol Fleet defense at the least when they got back.

I doubt starfleet would relegate the Enterprise from a front line exploration ship to a training vessel without good reason. Why waist a Constitution when they could have a survey ship instead?

The theory that has been around for a while is that the loading rail in TWOK / TUC feeds a multi-round magazine at the each launcher to facilitate rapid-firing.
I like that theory myself but it still raises a fairly lengthy reload time depending on how many rounds the magainzine initially holds.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote