View Single Post
Old December 18 2013, 12:27 PM   #954
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Maurice wrote: View Post
According to the plans the widest portion of the torpedo deck is the very front, but in photos from head-on you can see that that isn't the case, otherwise the very front of the assembly would always be visibly wider that what's behind it, and it ain't.
Yes, there is some "relief" as the torpedo bay housing gets to the launchers, that's equally absent in the David Kimble blueprints (and exagerrated in the DE CGI Version, IMO).

Also, the placement of the dorsal windows is idealized. We can see in a couple of screenshots that there is space between the upper and the two lower window rows.

Almost seems to me that it's easy to research which set of earlier blueprints provided the base to make the necessary modifications and corrections.

Frankly, after what I had seen before, I'm nevertheless very impressed with these orthographic blueprints which look to me like the best currently available (thanks Shaw for the heads-up).

Back to the issue of this thread, I found the top view of the engineering hull very interesting, where the dorsal's stern is wider than the bow, which is apparently correct.

This looks like a good opportunity to highlight this screencap from TMP. Originally, I had always thought that the external cover plates for the "impulse shaft" looked curved because of a camera lens distortion.

But since we are are looking at a diagonal shape the widest part of dorsal will slowly but surely "wander" from the top down towards the stern, so the forward area of the dorsal is relieved on its way down which results in what I had erroneously assumed to be a distortion.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote