View Single Post
Old December 17 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Re: Transporter beams itself?

That's always been my interpretation, that the "personal transporter" was just some sort of remote control or beacon for the ship's machinery.

It should be noted that the concept of a personal transporter was introduced quite a few years earlier in Voyager's "Non Sequitur," though there it was a rather larger device than the one in NEM. There as well, I choose to interpret it as a device that connects to an existing transporter system and takes control of it, rather than one that actually somehow teleports itself.

Hmm... I suppose a self-beaming transporter could work if it had two redundant transporter mechanisms -- transporter A would beam transporter B to the destination, then transporter B would beam transporter A there. But it's hard to believe that even one transporter could be miniaturized to the size of that tiny device in Data's arm, let alone two.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote