View Single Post
Old December 17 2013, 02:52 PM   #1068
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I don't know why this is so fucking hard to understand.

The main theme that binds nuTrek all together is that Kirk and Spock have a shared destiny. It's a different universe, and they're different people, but they're still two halves of the same whole.

Orci and Abrams were showing that those two haves could both literally and figuratively be flipped around and the whole would still be the same and net similar outcomes.

So, no, it's nothing like Picard and Data.
I'm not saying it has the same feeling as in TWOK but essentially NEM has the same plot at TWOK in those final scenes.
And I don't believe Picard is Data's best friend or even in his top 3 buddies and certainly Data isn't close to being Picard's best friend. However they are a top team under fire. So the feeling you get in TWOK is a whole lot different than in NEM but you still feel the loss.

However in nuTrek I think they missed a trick. When Kirk died I didn't even think he and Spock were friends. In TWOK and TOS there was no doubt. I think they could have made nuKirk and nuSpock friends from the beginning of STID and that would have explained the Khaaaannn scream. I'm just not convinced with the flip around and the destiny thing. I would have liked to though.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Elf Spock wrote: View Post

Yeah, rather cheap fan fiction ideas like "What IF Kirk was dying in the reactor room instead of Spock?" is what I expect from multi million dollar feature films.

Had they done the same in Nemesis, with Data sacrificing himself in the engine room, dying behind a glass wall, exchanging last words with Picard, I'd call it a lame ripoff/knockoff/fuckoff as well.
Aside from the glass wall I think it was virtually the same scene. Data/Spock sacrificing himself for Picard/Kirk when really its the Captain who should be giving up his life for his crew/the Federation. Both Spock and Data took the decision out of their Captain's hands. And Both Spock and Data (in the comics/books) returned from the dead after storing their soul somewhere safe. Could it be any more similar?
The Katra thing has always been a criticism against Nemesis.
I don't know why people are complaining that Data could be resurrected. I don't think he ever should have been killed off in the first place. Sure its copying but in the end who cares if you get what you want.
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I don't know why this is so fucking hard to understand.

The main theme that binds nuTrek all together is that Kirk and Spock have a shared destiny. It's a different universe, and they're different people, but they're still two halves of the same whole.

Orci and Abrams were showing that those two haves could both literally and figuratively be flipped around and the whole would still be the same and net similar outcomes.

So, no, it's nothing like Picard and Data.
I'm not saying it has the same feeling as in TWOK but essentially NEM has the same plot at TWOK in those final scenes.
And I don't believe Picard is Data's best friend or even in his top 3 buddies and certainly Data isn't close to being Picard's best friend. However they are a top team under fire. So the feeling you get in TWOK is a whole lot different than in NEM but you still feel the loss.

However in nuTrek I think they missed a trick. When Kirk died I didn't even think he and Spock were friends. In TWOK and TOS there was no doubt. I think they could have made nuKirk and nuSpock friends from the beginning of STID and that would have explained the Khaaaannn scream. I'm just not convinced with the way they did the flip around and the destiny thing. I would have liked to though.

Elf Spock wrote: View Post

Yeah, rather cheap fan fiction ideas like "What IF Kirk was dying in the reactor room instead of Spock?" is what I expect from multi million dollar feature films.

Had they done the same in Nemesis, with Data sacrificing himself in the engine room, dying behind a glass wall, exchanging last words with Picard, I'd call it a lame ripoff/knockoff/fuckoff as well.
Aside from the glass wall I think it was virtually the same scene. Data/Spock sacrificing himself for Picard/Kirk when really its the Captain who should be giving up his life for his crew/the Federation. Both Spock and Data took the decision out of their Captain's hands. And Both Spock and Data (in the comics/books) returned from the dead after storing their soul somewhere safe. Could it be any more similar?
The Katra thing has always been a criticism against Nemesis.
I don't know why people are complaining that Data could be resurrected. I don't think he ever should have been killed off in the first place. Sure its copying but in the end who cares if you get what you want.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote