View Single Post
Old December 16 2013, 07:19 PM   #390
Osquevel
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I had two long bus rides this weekend and finished Revelation and Dust and The Crimson Shadow, in about two sittings apiece.

I appear to be in the relative minority here who was very pleased with Revelation and Dust. It felt to me, as it has to others, as the “re-relaunch” of DS9 and also as the buildup to the key event in The Fall. I appreciated George taking time to bring us up to speed not only with the history, but with the psychology of the major and minor players in the DS9 world, giving almost everyone some much-needed attention, while splicing in granules of other information to paint a picture of the wider universe as it stands in the relative calm before the storm.

The book felt more like a series of vignettes into the lives of the characters, with the slow build of the dedication ceremony providing the undercurrent, while Kira’s arc inside the wormhole provided the forward momentum from chapter to chapter, up until the dedication ceremony.

I am reminded of the similar event at the end of the first season of Babylon 5, and the season’s closing shot of Sinclair and Sakai discussing how “everything is different now.” For DS9, we’ve only caught glimpses of these characters over the last 7 or 8 years so some time needed to be spent on how things were before, in order to underscore how things would be different after. In that sense, George was imminently successful in my view.

As to one other common criticism seen in my quick perusal of the thread thus far was the recapitulation, almost shot-for-shot, of Sisko’s wormhole experience in “Emmisary” I initially took it at relative face value, underscoring the connection between Kira, Sisko, and the prophets (as people), exploring that a little bit deeper, and in connection with elements of Sisko’s vignette, also exploring the connections and roles of the Emissary, the Hand, and the Avatar. It wasn’t until I finished The Crimson Shadow and its references to reading the same thing with a new perspective that the what may have been the point of revisiting “Emissary” actually was. I’ll reserve final thoughts on that until I’ve read more of The Fall.
Osquevel is offline   Reply With Quote