View Single Post
Old December 16 2013, 05:51 PM   #142
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: TF: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow Review Thread (Spoilers!

ToddCam wrote: View Post
Maybe this isn't the place to mention this, but I don't really care for the rating scale. What does average mean here? For all Star Trek books? For books by the author? For fiction in general? I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but as it wasn't outstanding or poor, I felt . I have found Swallow's books in general to be of high quality (making it average for him), but as I don't read all Trek books any more I don't know how it rates against all other Trek books, much less all fiction. I prefer a wider scale (1-10), and more along the lines of terrible/bad/mediocre/good/great than below average/average/above average.
Ok, when you see "Poor", think "Terrible". When you see "Below Average", think "Bad". When you see "Average", think "Mediocre". When you see "Above Average" think "Good". When you see "Outstanding" think "Great". And click away.

It's a rating on a scale from 1 to 5. Make of it what you will.

And I think, given the ratings page that lists all the books and their polls so far, that changing the way we do polls at this point would be LESS clear (due to problems being commensurate).