View Single Post
Old December 16 2013, 08:41 AM   #50
tommygdawg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tommygdawg
Re: Star Trek - Horizon (Enterprise Feature-Length Fan Film)

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions all. I generally agree on all accounts. Constructive criticism is incredibly important, which is why I don't like to surround myself with "yes men (or women)". I believe no matter how good someone is, there's always something new to learn or explore. That being said, the credentials of the person giving the advice and the kind of advice given are a big factor on whether or not I'll take it.

For instance, if someone comes to me and says "hey, I don't like the lead in your film." In most cases there's nothing I can do about that at the point when I'm receiving the criticism; and I also have to consider if it's just a matter of opinion.

The ones that really burn my toast are vague or simply rude responses such as "this sucks!" There's absolutely nothing I can do with that kind of "criticism."

Never-the-less, I do take all thoughts on a project into consideration, and even if I don't agree with someone's view, I'm typically grateful that they even took the time to analyze something I've done. One of the things I strive for most on a personal level is being very introspective and self-aware. This spills over very much onto everything I do as well. I truly mean it when I say that I value opinions, even if I may not agree with all of them, and that I will always at the least consider their impact on future projects.

Oh and one other thing. I'm not a huge fan of letting into "professional" productions such as Nemesis or JJ's films or anything else. Being critical is okay, but I think it's very important to remember that the people who make these films still work incredibly hard on them and put a lot of work in. I know if it were me, even if I was the highest paid director in Hollywood, the most important thing for me would be passion for my story and devoting all of my energy to that story. It would suck to then have people rip it apart as if it were made by robots. Professionals may get paid well for what they do, but they're still people. I just try to approach everything with an open mind.

Also, thank you all for the kind words! Again, I do appreciate it very much!

And in a related note...the next shoot is this Friday! I'm incredibly stoked. A lot is on the schedule for the day and we're going to finally break into the meat of the movie. I'll be keeping you all updated for sure!
tommygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote