View Single Post
Old December 15 2013, 01:51 PM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Season Cliffhangers as Series Finales

Solstice wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Seaquest would be a great show for a reboot, just have it start as a science mission and grow it into a military show.
Why not just keep it as a science mission? The only two episodes of the series that I really liked, "Bad Water" and "Photon Bullet," were both heavy on the science and problem-solving.
Why not have both? A show can have elements of military sci-fi and hard science fiction. I liked the 2032 setting and the stories they told with it. I wish they had a chance to tell more.

Of course, I am a sucker for shows exploring near-future problems and politics.
Right.

And, to take it a step further, viewers might be interested in an exploration of how the interests of science could be balanced with military interests. That could be both a source of drama and a source of subject matter that might itself in the abstract interest and be of concern to viewers, in the way they deal with today's world.

Frankly, I would be more interested in that than I would be in stories set in a world when pure science missions on the scale of seaQuest could get funded, assuming it's to be set in the not-too-distant future, since it's completely implausible that a world such as that latter one could exist anytime in the 21st century (i.e., in my lifetime). To set it in such a world would be to lean more towards the fantasy end of the scale.