View Single Post
Old December 15 2013, 02:54 AM   #34
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: MLP:FiM S4E5 - "Flight to the Finish" - Grade & Discuss

^ Yeah, I really liked that bit where Rainbow plainly acknowledges that Scoots may or may not ever fly. Was it an explicit explanation as to why she hasn't been able to fly yet? No, and it may be that they're not sure why that is - perhaps there is no medical explanation, it's just that her wing power and ability aren't there yet and no one is sure why.

Still, Rainbow hits it directly - "you may not ever fly, but you're still awesome." I LOVED that, and I loved that whole scene, because it brought back the RD/Scoots dynamic from "Sleepless in Ponyville". For all her bravado, Dash actually cares deeply for certain ponies in her life and just has trouble showing it - the mane 6 obviously, but it's clear that Scoots is also up there.

I loved this episode, I thought it was a good character piece for Scootaloo, and sweet Luna on a tricycle, they really did crank the crazy facial expressions up to eleven this time during the scenes with Dash and Harshwhinney!

Oh, also, I just LOST it when - after witnessing how great the CMC's routine looked - Silver Spoon says "But how do we stop them? We already called them blank flanks!" That was such a great moment, not only because it was hilarious, but because it really underscored the true nature of these bullies: they have a set script of harmful rhetoric, but when it fails, they don't always know what to do. I also liked seeing the CMC actually stand up to them directly.

I'd have to give this one a 9 out of 10. Yes, I've switched to a numerical rating scale because I always liked it better SO SUE ME