Thread: The Ashes 2013
View Single Post
Old December 14 2013, 11:12 AM   #117
Botany Bay
Commodore

Re: The Ashes 2013

Stumps, Day 2 :
ENG 4/180 Trail by 205.

Really enjoyable day's play, perhaps the best of the series.

Michael Carberry and Cook really looked set for big scores, but again Carberry had no luck, playing Harris on for 43. I felt for all money Cook was set to break the drought for English centuries, but he threw it away on 72, playing a loose cut to Lyon, who continues to get important wickets.

Watson's dismissal of Root opened up the DRS controversy again. It was ridiculous to see him be given out in those circumstances, but alas, the rule for DRS is that the umpire gets the benefit of the doubt, and so the "correct" decision was made. Would love to see this overhauled, but I suppose we were due for one to go our way.

Then Pietersen. What a ridiculous shot after all that gritty batting with Cook. All that effort and patience thrown away with a shot that will go down on the all time highlights reel for soft batting efforts.

So at 4/146, England's innings sat at pretty much the same crossroads as ours did. We managed to rack up 385, but Bell and Stokes opted to play for stumps. I thought Clarke missed a trick not being more attacking with England shutting up shop with an hour to go. Oh well, it doesn't matter. You sense when Bell goes it will be a procession.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote