View Single Post
Old December 14 2013, 04:08 AM   #12
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Grading & Discussion (Spoile

C+

I tend to agree with Emh. I enjoyed the movie and visually it's impressive, not least with a character on Smaug's level, but there's a lot of unnecessary action which doesn't do anything but pad the running time of the movie. It doesn't really tie into the existing framework of the book, and that's unfortunate because I rather like Tauriel and the more sullen, angrier Legolas that we get to see. I feel like a lot more could have been done with both characters to make them seem like they fit into the story better. There are other parts of the movie which don't make much sense (the giant dwarf statue, unless I missed something - which is possible - but why did it melt and what did that accomplish since it didn't seem to harm Smaug?). I feel like there could have been less direct and obvious tie-ins to the events that come later during the War of the Ring, even if part of the goal may have been to better connect the movies for viewers who are unfamiliar with the books. But there's a span of decades between them, so it doesn't make sense to me for the Hobbit to be portrayed as a sort of direct prequel when it's not.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote