View Single Post
Old December 13 2013, 05:47 PM   #59
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: NuTrek's Starfleet

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
I think you meant "James Blish's 'Balance of Terror' novelization" there.
Probably. It's been years since I read it.

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Yorktown and Lexington share a registry number. Is that intentional?
USS Yorktown was originally just an engineering test article and refitted for fleet service when Lexington and Hornet were shot by the Romulans. I had been debating with myself whether or not to make the first ship in that series NX- or NCC and change the numbers accordingly. Come to think of it, I forgot to make a final decision on that.

Nob Akimoto wrote: View Post
Is there a particular reason the ship names seem to be drawn from a very narrow pool of possible names? They mostly seem primarily drawn from London Treaty power navies.
Most of the Yorktowns built during the Romulan Wars were named after famous warships. These were followed by a "restart" of the production line which were named after famous generals or military leaders. Dallas, Chicago and Houston were built after the war's end.

The Poseidons were named after figures from greek mythology, which -- not entirely coincidentally -- also happen to be the names of asteroids and moons in the Sol system.

The first run of Proximas were named after major stars in the Earth astronomical catalog. The next five were named after famous warships.

The Eagle class ships were named after famous exploration vessels, except for Defiant and Farragut which are named after the first two manned spacecraft to explore the outer solar system.

The Solomon and Newton classes are named after well-known starships from the previous century, while the Constitution class are named after aircraft carriers.