View Single Post
Old December 13 2013, 11:45 AM   #114
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: The Ashes 2013

Orac Zen wrote: View Post

Surely Watson has to be ditched sooner rather than later
Steve Smith notched up his second test ton today in his 14th game. Watson has played 48, many of them as opener, and notched up...3. Not good enough, but what saves him is his bowling. Arguably he is a better bowler than batsman - he can really dry the runs up when needed and build pressure, and allows us to risk playing Harris three tests in a row.

I reckon if we take the Ashes here (as appears likely), Melbourne looms as a big game for Watson. Phil Hughes has over 500 runs in Shield cricket this summer so far, and I think there will be irresistible pressure to get him into the side again in a dead rubber against a defeated England. As you rightly point out, the top order isn't delivering, and our side is quite old.

It's amazing that we've gone down the path England tried in the 90's of recalling veterans and recycled players to try and beat the arch-enemy. It never worked for them, but it has worked spectacularly for us (so far). It will be interesting to see whether a few of our older players elect to go out on a high here and retire. If they don't I can see a couple of them being given a ruthless shove to try and get the age of the side down, and Watson is probably near the top of the list of contenders for an unpleasant chat with John Inverarity.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote