View Single Post
Old December 13 2013, 07:02 AM   #966
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The same is true when someone describes a piece of writing as "tired" or "uninspired." They're not describing the writer's process. They're describing the text. This should not be a very difficult point.
And here we go. Total bunk.

In artistic criticism, words like these always reference the artist's perceived mental or physical state and how it affected the work.

A musical composition is uninspired because it is obvious the composer's heart just wasn't in it. For whatever reason, his muse went on holiday, and he continued to aimlessly muck about with the lyric or melody. It has nothing to do with the piece itself.

Lazy writing
is that which is generally simple, formulaic, often hackneyed and clearly done with little effort. It is often used to describe procedural television shows. These shows often have script templates that are literally fill in the blank. The writer has half the work done for him before he even starts. Therefore, he can flick out a few keystrokes while he sips mojitos by the pool.

Of course, before all the shenanigans, this was the definition people were trying to prescribe to Orci. The implication being he opened the TWOK script and hit Ctrl-C then opened the STiD script and hit Ctrl-P, and finished it up with a find/replace for Kirk/Spock.

That's really unfair. For one, the scenes really aren't that similar. Second, he couldn't just pigeonhole the whole thing into his story with out making changes.

Rather, as Counterpart suggested with his examples from TUC and TWOK, he took something that had a certain association, fiddled with it until it was to his liking, and then molded it to fulfill its thematic obligation.

That took more effort than people give him credit for.

Do you really believe adapting material from elsewhere to a script is the same thing as mirroring an entire sequence beat-for-beat from another movie's script?
Except, as I just wrote, Orci did adapt his.

More importantly, however, the mirror was the whole point!

He took a scene featuring a piece of glass, literally mirrored the scene to create a figurative mirror out of that piece of glass that acted as the focal point to his story's main theme.

That's hardly lazy.
All excellent points, clearly and concisely expressed.

---

As with STXI, the more I think about STID, the more I like it.

Taking the mirror idea, and running with it, if one of the overarching themes of TWOK is that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, then there's a case to be made that one of the overarching themes of STID is that the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many:

The one is Khan and the needs of his are for him to see justice served. In electing not to execute Harrison without trial, Kirk is risking his own life and the lives of his crew for the ideal of due process as it applies to a man whom he knows for a fact to be guilty of capital crimes. Kirk ultimately pays the price while fixing the warp core, and Spock's screaming of Khan's name may be seen as an accusation that Khan is unworthy of the risks that Kirk took on Khan's behalf and of the sacrifice that Kirk had just made.

As it applies by allegory to the War on Terror in the real world, STID's story adds up to a condemnation of the notion that absolutely minimizing the risk to the people at large is a valid justification for violating the human rights of terror suspects, even guilty ones.

Note that, in this reading, STID's theme is more opposite to the theme of TWOK than TSFS's is; as TWOK and TSFS remain in harmony with each other, the theme of TSFS is more of a counterpoint to TWOK's theme than it is a polar opposite.

Am I reading too much into STID? Oh, I don't know. I think that the reading of it that I'm giving here works in the abstract, including the death scene in the warp core. Although the drone strike allegory was clear, whether everything I said was all intended, or whether, if it was, the film could have been better executed, those are issues that I won't contest one way or the other. That said, STID gets points from me just for being far more ambitious than the majority of Trek films, and it's given me more to chew on than most of them.