Old December 12 2013, 03:39 AM   #86
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: A thought on regenerations (spoilers for "Night/Day of the Doctor"

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Well, that's unimaginative.
While other races in Doctor Who can regenerate like the Kastrians, so far only the Time Lords can grant oterh Time Lords new lives.
Just because all our current information points one way doesn't mean we have all the information. Particularly in a show like Doctor Who and a writer like Steven Moffat, I'd be surprised if he felt beholden to have only one possible explanation if he thinks another is more interesting or exciting.

Neither River nor Jenny are Time Lords though. And yes River did get her other lives from the TARDIS durin conception, if it were that easy all Time Lords would live well beyond their normal limit.
What about my point about pocket universes?

DOCTOR:
I've got mail! (walks back to the console) Time Lord emergency messaging system. In an emergency, we'd wrap up thoughts in psychic containers and send them through time and space. Anyway, there's a Time Lord out there, and it's one of the good ones!

RORY:
You said there were no other Time Lords left.

DOCTOR:
There are no Time Lords left in the universe, but the universe isn't where we're going! (throws the box to AMY) See that snake? The mark of the Corsair. Fantastic bloke. He had that snake as a tattoo in every regeneration. Didn't feel like himself without the tattoo. Or herself, a couple of times. Ooh, she was a bad girl!

If the Doctor could sense Time Lords in pocket universes, he wouldn't have been fooled by House. Likewise, there could be similar phenomena to explain the Doctor's inability to sense Galifrey frozen in time.
There's nothing in that quote that says the Doctor can't sense Time Lords in a pocket univserse and there were no Time Lords to sense in the first place so it's no wonder he couldn't sense them.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote