View Single Post
Old December 11 2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: Wood Burning = Illegal

Thanks in part to measures like this and higher vehicle pollution standards San Francisco has dropped off the American Lung Association's Top 25 Most Smog Polluted Cities in the US.

San Francisco drops off top 25 list for worst smog pollution

By Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY
Updated 2012-04-26 3:41 PM

The San Francisco Bay Area has cleaned up its air act and this year dropped off the American Lung Association's top 25 list for smog pollution.

The metropolitan area, which includes San Jose and Oakland, did not record a single day that exceeded federally designated ozone pollution standards last year, the San Francisco Chronicle notes, citing the ALA rankings.

The report says annual levels of particle pollution in the area have dropped an average of 15% to 30% since 2004, with a 51% drop in the number of days with unhealthy ozone levels since 2000.

Lung association analysts gave credit Wednesday to California for huge reductions in car exhaust and soot, particularly over the past decade, the newspaper says.

The Chronicle also notes that the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has implemented strict wood-burning regulations during designated Spare the Air days.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...og-pollution/1
That seems like a good thing to me, especially since it's handled in a reasonable way where it's only on certain days and if burning wood is your only source of heat you are allowed to get an exemption. That's the price of living in a dense city in an area prone to smog buildup. If you want to continue burning wood any day you want, there's the other 99% of the state available for you to move to.

San Francisco is a beautiful city. Don't you like seeing it? Don't you want to enjoy the crisp ocean air without inhaling smog and having it burn your eyes? Don't you want the tourists that are such an important part of San Francisco's economy to be able to breathe easily? Well, then this is just one small sacrifice to achieve that and really isn't much of a burden.

It's been getting down to the mid-30s here in Huntington Beach the past week. I just sleep in two layers of hoodies and sweat pants to keep warm (we've rarely had to use AC or heat the entire time I've lived here) and toss on an extra comforter. It's not a big deal. San Francisco is a little chillier on average, but it's hardly Ice Station Zebra.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; December 11 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote