View Single Post
Old December 11 2013, 02:35 PM   #912
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
The only known low-distortion view of the Enterprise is the one from Drexfiles' orthos and the dorsal width is only 48% of the torpedobay and not 59%.

I'm a little confused. Since when did the Thermians decide to rely on inaccurate third party recreations rather than the original (VFX) footage and photographs?

Here we see one of the more detailed front views of the actual and "real" ship.

Unlike the TOS Enterprise's rectangular (!) connecting dorsal, the refit Enterprise's dorsal has an "ovoid" (quote Andrew Probert) cross-section, i.e. it gets wider in the center and that width continues diagonally down towards the stern.

Because of its ovoid nature - opposite to a rectangular one - there is wiggle room in determining its actual width when not in a perfect and centered front view like the above shot.

What we do see in the shot is that the max. width of the dorsal is approximately 59% of the max. width of the torpedo bay and not 48%.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
The Drexfiles ortho is from the CG TMP Enterprise that was accuratized Foundation Imaging for the TMP Director's Edition. Kimble's blueprints has it's own issues and I'm not using it.
I'm sorry, but I can't see anything "accuratized" but rather the introduction of new and/or different inaccuracies.
  • Both Kimble and Foundation Imaging didn't get the width of the dorsal accurately reproduced
  • Both Kimble and Foundation Imaging didn't get the forward torpedo launcher section correct. Kimble didn't show the relief of the torpedo bay towards the forward launcher, Foundation Imaging exaggerated it.
  • Both Kimble and Foundation Imaging suggest a launcher opening that's too rectangular and betrays the noticable and original hexagonal shape
  • Both Kimble and Foundation Imaging didn't get the shape of the forward sensor light (illuminating "NCC-1701") correct
But where Foundation Imaging made things really worse is their curvature of the torpedo bay "roof" (better and very noticable in the side views you often provide to visualize your engine component locations): its curvature is rather reminiscent of a fish or a banana and not compatible with the actual curvature of the "real" ship or VFX model.

Rather than siding for one or another inaccurate reproduction of the ship we should look for one that is truly accurate.

Didn't Tobias Richter (The Light Works) do such a CGI recreation?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote