View Single Post
Old December 10 2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

Re: No split season for Capaldi

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Frankly, all the fangirls I know on Tumblr and in reality are more than happy with Capaldi's casting, and reckon he's an older bloke they can all fancy... So I doubt there'll be much in the way of defections.
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Frankly, all the fangirls I know on Tumblr and in reality are more than happy with Capaldi's casting, and reckon he's an older bloke they can all fancy... So I doubt there'll be much in the way of defections.
Just to be clear, when I said defect I meant some fan girls would defect from fancying Smith to fancying Capaldi, not that they'd defect from the show, but I realise now that I didn't word that very well! I think Capaldi is going to have a lot of female (and male) fans in that respect.

As for the Smith series, I can see what people mean about series 6, but I really like it, especially the second half (frankly Night Terrors is the only one I dislike). I watched Let's Kill Hitler the other day, and whilst it is all over the place there's a totally bonkers energy to it that I can't help but love.

I loved Amy and Rory, but do agree that they shouldn't have come back for series 7, their story had effectively ended and they could have been left with a happy ever after. I realise there was an element of making their departure permanant, but again I don't see this was neccesary really and it is a bit of a problem the new series has, no companion aside from Martha (and excluding the irregular Rivers and Jacks) ever really leaves the Doctor without some contrivance to ensure they can never come back. Rose had to be trapped in another universe, Donna had to have her memory wiped, Amy and Rory had to be trapped in the past...whilst the classic series was sometimes a bit blase about companions leaving, people did just come and go and there was never the feeling that people would travel with the Doctor forever, like there is now.

I can see it working with some companions, Rose maybe, but on the whole I prefer to see travelling with the Doctor as being the equivilent to going backpacking in South America or something, it's the adventure you have before you settle down.It must get wearing after a time, even if you accept that it isn't constant battles against evil, those are just the bits we see, you can imagine people tiring of it and wanting to either return home, or put some roots down somewhere.

Back to the Smith series I have to say 7B was the weakest for me. Having the Ponds back for 7A might have been pointless, but it was a good run of episodes (A Town Called MErcy excluded) whereas 7B was poor for me, aside from Gatiss' great episodes and ultimately redeemed by the wonderful Name of the Doctor.