View Single Post
Old December 10 2013, 03:04 AM   #890
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

BillJ wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Three humans and a half-human acting realistically human. That hasn't happened very often since 1987. No wonder it is throwing you for a loop.
Then I guess I'm not human. I would have a problem with anyone acting the way that they did.
If you have someone hurt a member of your family, you may find out you feel very differently.
I've had a member of my family hurt by the decisions of others. And, yes, there was anger. But at the end of the day, I did not act on the anger. Because I know that there's enough anger and violence in the world, and I don't need to add to it. Because I know that I would destroy myself, adding to the misery of those around me. I watched a member of my family, because I was not the one directly hurt, in pain on several occasions because of the pain that he felt over losing a friend to someone else's decisions. This family member was confronting their mortality because the persons that were lost were their own age. "Why am I here and they are not?" "What kind of God would let this happen?" "Why do I keep losing friends?" And there was very little I could do to help my family member.

I have tasted violence in my life. I've been beaten by two guys and they were never caught. I was beat and left laying in the middle of the street. I didn't go on a rampage. But like some people who responded to 9/11 by turning off violence on television, I personally, because of the pain of that violence, have turned off violent movies. I have no use for it in my life.

Someone suggested that I not watch Dexter, Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. I heard the premise of each, and decided to stay away from them. There was a study released recently that said PG 13 movies are what Rated R movies were 30 years ago. Yet another, suggested that there is little difference between Rated R movies and PG-13 movies with regards to sex, violence, and drug use. It is very hard to stay away from violence today. But when I see a gun on television, I'm not thinking "Cool!" I'm thinking "not again!"

I have no problem with the previous Trek universe because, with exception to perhaps David Terrell, who is out of his mind, it's a defensive weapon. Their battles aren't prolonged and it certainly doesn't have people flying out into space (sans the last 3 movies).
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote