View Single Post
Old December 9 2013, 07:59 PM   #239
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Joe Torre elected to HOF - vote was unanimous.[/QUOTE

Take off Morris and add Mussina, and I wouldn't be able to argue with any single one of those names.
I've always been a little aurprised that Morris isn't in yet. Of course I thought Jim Rice should have made it years ago.

Yanks wrote: View Post
Currently, the writers and HOF'ers are adamant that if your name is linked to PEDs, you're not getting in.

I don't know where I stand on this to be honest. It's easy to say "if you used, you're out". But MLB knew about this "abuse" and so did the managers.

So do you think they shouldn't be allowed in on the same criteria?

Right now, the only ones that are being punished are the players.
The problem is that the BBWAA and the existing HOFers are being sanctimonious assholes about the "good old days" or whatever that never actually existed. As I said a few months ago:

Greenies, uppers, whatever, they were passed around like candy in clubhouses in the '50s and '60s and '70s. There is a demonstrable effect upon a person's mental awareness and response times when on those substances.

But instead everyone (especially Costas) gets all sanctimonious about the live ball era, because those guys in the '60s played the game the "right way," but steroids are Magic Dinger Juice, despite guys like Neifi fucking Perez being popped for usage, and past eras of the game being just as filled with douchebags, liars, cheaters and scum.

I've said this before:

Ser Barrold of House Bonds' only real crime was murdering baseballs, but he's seen as a pariah.

Ray Lewis was involved in a double-homicide, lied to the cops and almost certainly destroyed evidence, but because his management ran a decade of one of the greatest PR campaigns in history, he's an All-American Hero.
Totally with you concerning Ray Lewis, hell he's on ESPN now!! (head slap)

Of course, the nation is forced to mourn the death of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela ...

So you're in the court that performance and only performance should determine if you make it or not?

Like I said, I really don't know. But if someone has to be punished, then it most certainly shouldn't just be the players.