View Single Post
Old December 9 2013, 07:34 PM   #37
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: A thought on regenerations (spoilers for "Night/Day of the Doctor"

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The one thing I don't like about this is that we suddenly jump from Smith being the 11th Doctor to the 13th! It certainly seems very artificial. Moffat wanted to deal with this issue during his tenure and forced it to happen.
Well, it was Davies who threw in the Metacrisis regeneration. Moffat's just saying (evidently) that it counted as a full regeneration, which makes sense given what "Mawdryn Undead" established about a Time Lord having only twelve "packets" of regeneration energy available. So arguably the only new element he's added is the War Doctor.

I don't really mind the surprise. Doctor Who should have an element of mystery and the unexpected about the Doctor. I'm enjoying these new revelations; I like them better than the retconning that was attempted back in "Silver Nemesis" and the novels following the Cartmel Masterplan. And I don't mind if we get the regeneration-limit issue resolved now. I just wish we'd get an explanation for the Valeyard too.
I'll have a better idea how much I mind after the episode airs!

Right now, I just don't like the idea of making it happening just so Moffat can work with it. But, he knocked it out of the park for the anniversary special so if he does that again, it'll have been worth it!

But, I disagree with the metacrisis, the show never counted that as a regeneration until now. There was never any concern shown that he had used one more up.

And, how conveniently River's energy transfer has been forgotten!

I think Moffat wanted to get his hands on this subject area. All fine and good if he knocks this one out of the park. We'll soon find out.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote