View Single Post
Old December 9 2013, 04:45 PM   #836
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
So it's not a battle of 23rd versus 24th centuries. I think it's prime universe versus the last 2 films. There's been a lot of destruction in JJ Abrams universe and I don't see positive outcomes from that. I think it hurts the franchise that we can't do a story that doesn't involve a galactic war.
There was a hell of a lot of destruction in TOS too - Nomad sterilized several entire worlds before reaching the Enterprise. The Doomsday Machine wiped out at least one solar system, M-5 killed the entire 400+ crew of a starship, V'Ger had digitized hundreds of solar systems.
Don't forget "Operation--Annihilate!" How many planets did the neural parasites wipe out? And let's not forget that Kirk's brother and sister-in-law died horribly.

And I seem to recall Khan massacring all the scientists at the Genesis space station (albeit offstage): "He cut their throats."

The final frontier has never been a safe place, even in TNG. What did Q say again?

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

Probably my favorite line in all of TNG--and Q is absolutely right. Exploring the final frontier was never supposed to be warm and cozy and peaceful. Death and disaster come with the territory sometimes.

"Risk is our business" and all that.

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 9 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote