View Single Post
Old December 9 2013, 02:53 AM   #827
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a generational thing. I grew up on TOS as well, but the 24th century shows are more to my liking. I prefer character driven drama over science fiction. TOS is a show about science fiction concepts and is very light on characterization. On the other hand, the 24th century shows are about the characters. The plots exist to develop the characters or put them through situations to see how they react. "The Inner Light" wasn't about a society facing its last days; it was about Picard experiencing the life that he gave up for his career.
That's about the exact opposite of my interpretation. I see TOS as being about the characters first. Them and their interactions keep me watching even through the worst episodes. I think David Gerrold once called it a buddy cop show in space pretending to be sci-fi.
TNG I see as a group of unrelatable, unrealistic and ultra-PC characters going through far less colourful adventures.
The TOS characters might be more fun (although I disagree with that), but they have no depth. Uhura, Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty are little more than nameless extras and even the much-vaunted big three are nothing more than a single characteristic (logic, emotion, and dashing hero) that defines their entire existence. Even Harry Kim had more to his character than that. However, I will concede that the films do flesh out the characters a bit more. I am a huge fan of the TOS films (2, 3, 4, and 6).

As for TNG, I preferred the less colorful adventures. "The Drumhead" is one of the first episodes that come to mind when I think about episodes that define Star Trek. It was a bottle episode where characters sat around various rooms discussing things, but talking can often be far more exciting and eventful than the most action-packed adventure. When Admiral Satie had her breakdown in the final coutroom scene and was tearing into Picard I found that far more engaging than anything in TOS. Those are the scenes that made me a Star Trek fan; not Kirk throwing rocks at a lizard.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote