View Single Post
Old December 8 2013, 11:24 PM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Game of The Year Awards

Jax wrote: View Post
I meant to put Other on the poll and forgot and also forgot Arkham Origins (sorry). Yeh the VGX was AWFUL , Geoff was fine but the other guy Joel was it? a poor choice with poor autocue lines who didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Don't even get me started on that concert, SPIKE grow the fuck up will ya.

However No Man's Sky looked AWESOME just wow. How can GTA V win GOTY but Naughty Dog win Studio of the Year

I think most gamers feel the reverse now, that the story/cinematography is more important than the gameplay. Most of this list is dominated by those kinds of games.
I'll admit I really need a good story these days but the gameplay is still just as important. A great story truly immersives you into the game and a bad story just keeps bringing you out of the moment in my game.
For me story is only immersive if the story is gameplay driven. For example, in Mass Effect the conversation system makes you feel like your actions are driving the story. It's not actually less linear than other games, but it manages a convincing illusion that it is. When the cutscenes are totally separate from the gameplay or the story is used mostly to drive you down the right tunnel, I think it makes the story very unimmersive.

And I think the reason newer Final Fantasies are so much less immersive is that in older entries the plot happened directly on the playable map, so there wasn't that separation of game and story where it's like 'Ok cutscene time, time to put down the controller and settle on the couch.'

For me, good world design is much more immersive than story. If the area you're exploring is convincing and absorbing, that's what makes me really feel engaged in the drama. Even if the story itself is minimal, like I find Demon Souls much more immersive than Last Of Us.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote