View Single Post
Old December 8 2013, 03:48 AM   #946
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Salinga wrote: View Post
I would not agree: Even if the display is sharp, the source material - even if in 1080p - sometimes is not. Here an example of original TNG bluray footage additionally sharpened; it can bring out more details and emphasize edges without enhancing the grain too much (left original, right sharpened):

Source: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnail...bum=71&page=18

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma, and I have sharpening always slightly enabled, because it enhances slightly blurry HD material like the TNG blurays.
It should be noted that your odd scaling factor (around 114.7%) and re-compression of the TrekCore jpg on the left, which in turn was compressed from a png capture, has softened the image slightly more than it appears on the Blu-ray. Also, as jimbotron has pointed out, you've introduced artifacts that weren't there originally in your sharpened image on the right.