View Single Post
Old December 7 2013, 09:25 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

It's occurred to me that the shot of Smith at the end wasn't really meant to represent Hartnell's POV. Smith was standing in for us, the modern audience, looking back at Hartnell from our POV. I mean, this is really a pretty sad movie. Hartnell finally finds a role he loves, a professional family where he feels he belongs, but everyone leaves him and then he gets too ill to continue and they kick him out and his career withers and then he dies young and it's all very sad. So I think that final moment reflected our wish as fans -- and Mark Gatiss's wish as the writer -- that we could go back and communicate with Hartnell and tell him that what he started would leave a legacy stretching forward 50 years and more, and that he would always be remembered and cherished. To let him know, as it were, that there should be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, because Doctor Who had gone forward in all its beliefs and proven to him that he was not mistaken in his.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote