View Single Post
Old December 6 2013, 08:35 PM   #170
Avalon
Captain

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

That said, I thought this particular take on that format was done well -- Jonny Lee Miller put on a very good performance as Holmes (tetchy, arrogant, and absolutely sure of himself), the case wasn't that obtrusive -- and I was surprised at the not-happy ending -- the judge recommends that Holmes be cut off from the NYPD, Bell rejects Holmes' overtures. I hope the series doesn't lose Bell, because I like Bell as a character a lot, and I also hope that this doesn't make Holmes' relationship with the NYPD more strained that it already is.

At the same time, perhaps this development helps the series make a break away from its NYPD-centric nature. The Canon Holmes didn't spend all of his time investigating murders at Scotland Yard's behest. I'd like to see this Holmes do more private consulting work. It is there, but I'd like to see it foregrounded more often.
I wonder if they're headed toward having Bell work directly with Holmes and Watson, even though Bell wanted nothing more to do with Holmes? As a detective, he said, he had to be able to handle a gun, but he doesn't have to if he's a consultant. And we never heard his end of the conversation with the commissioner (it was the commissioner who asked Bell for his opinion, right?). I don't think there's any way his input could have been negative.

That could help move them into more private work as you said, while still keeping Bell in the mix.