View Single Post
Old December 5 2013, 04:07 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Gal is a beautiful woman, but she's not Wonder Woman. Maybe if she gains about 30-pounds of muscle or something but, really, I just don't see it at all.
As it happens, 30 pounds of muscle is just what Christopher Reeve put on when he was cast as Superman. It worked pretty well for him.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Adding 15 kilos of muscle does not add "curves" to a woman.
So now it comes out. "She's too skinny" is really just a euphemism for "Her boobs aren't big enough." I wondered if that might be what was really going on here.

Of course, women can change how curvaceous they are by adding or removing body fat, and models in our society are generally expected to minimize body fat. Looking at photos online of Ms. Gadot, she's clearly more curvaceous in some than in others. And a woman's apparent curvaceousness can be enhanced by costuming; Lucy Lawless's Xena costume made her seem considerably bustier than she actually is.

But it should go without saying, of course, that curvaceousness is not the most important attribute for Wonder Woman.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Don't mean to bust your chops Christopher, but I want someone who looks like a woman playing Wonder Woman, not a stick figure.
Yasmine / Jennifer is quite beautiful and a triumph of self-creation, but it's fairly obvious that their "living doll" look is the product of implants and extensive surgery. It's more than a bit disturbing to see this described as being somehow definitive of what "looks like a woman." Because it isn't. And it certainly has little or nothing to do with how the character of Wonder Woman has been portrayed in comics.
Indeed. I overlooked that part of Duncan's post before, but I have to agree with you -- it's deeply disturbing and offensive to see someone claim that the only way to "look like a woman" is to have fake boobs and pronounced curves. That's not only staggeringly sexist but bizarrely insular, since any man who's actually interacted with real women to any significant extent must be aware that they come in a wide variety of shapes -- and that they don't need the approval of a man in order to qualify as real women. There are many different ways for women to be beautiful, and they're as much about what's on the inside as what's on the surface.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote