View Single Post
Old December 3 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Comet ISON has been destroyed

And... now it's destroyed again. This comet is like the Black Knight. "Tis but a scratch! Have at you!"

Comet ISON Is No More, NASA Says

by Mark Memmott
December 02, 2013 12:28 PM

Comet ISON, a "shining green candle in the solar wind," is no longer with us, NASA declared Monday morning in a tribute to what many hoped would be the "comet of the century."

On NASA's Comet ISON Observing Campaign website, astrophysicist Karl Battams writes that ISON was "born 4.5 billion BC, fragmented Nov. 28, 2013 (age 4.5 billion yrs old)."

Battans writes there that "while it is conceivable that small chunks of ISON's nucleus still exist, that possibility looks increasingly unlikely and it is with more than a little sadness that we have to declare the comet lost."

As we posted over the weekend, the initial word after ISON's close fly-by of the sun on Thanksgiving Day was that it likely didn't survive the encounter. Then there was more hopeful talk that it just might have held together. Now, NASA has given up that hope.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...more-nasa-says
Personally, I think the Sun is being profiled as the killer because it's a G-type Main-Sequence Star, and that another "Star" is more likely the real killer:

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote