View Single Post
Old December 3 2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: J.J. admits keeping Khan's identity a secret was a mistake

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
After looking over the box office returns again, I can't really see any reasonable way to regard decisions on how STID was marketed as mistakes, if by a "mistake" one means something that hurt the bottom line. If STID had been a failure or only a marginal success, then second-guessing or Monday morning quarterbacking the marketing campaign might be in order. But given that STID was a success, how one could validly argue that the returns would have been better, if only someone in marketing had done thus and so, is really a mystery to me.
Likely because as good as STID did, it didn't do as well as many expected it to as a follow up. It did less domestically than the 2009 film, despite having a boost in 3D and IMAX tickets. The fact that Abrams himself regards the marketing strategy in hiding Khan as mistake should tell you something. STID was not a failure, but it's box office run isn't as impressive as other successful franchises and might not be enough for Paramount to want to put out so much money. That's also why there's talks of budgets being lower for the follow up film, because they realize it's not going to make the kind of profit that other franchises like PIRATES, TRANSFORMERS, THE DARK KNIGHT, MARVEL, ect makes.

Would revealing Khan from the get go have changed things? Perhaps, but we'll never really know. Still, it's clearly acknowledged now as a lost opportunity.
Nah.

"Clearly acknowledged now as a lost opportunity" by a vocal minority of self-described hardcore Star Trek fans, perhaps. In a more general way, I don't think so.

I can find no suggestion that Paramount considers it a "lost opportunity." As a matter of fact, in the interview JJ calls it their idea!

Word got out in plenty of time that it was Khan, for that to influence who was going to see it, anyway. The only reason JJ's apologizing is for lying to the hardcore base in the buildup (by denying it was Khan). He pretty much says that. Don't tell me that some of the hardcore fans are mad at themselves for believing him on that account? I didn't! I wasn't as sure it was going to be Khan as a few of the other people on the board were, but boy was it clear that some were really sure it would be Khan all along!

As for the budget for STXIII, there's a whole thread for that. Word is that it's "being lowered" because they can get the same bang outside of the Hollywood area for a smaller buck than they could inside it. That sounds a great way not to waste money. I really doubt that decision will affect the quality of the movie one way or another.