View Single Post
Old December 1 2013, 11:23 PM   #215
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: TF: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack - Review Thread (Spoilers!

ronny wrote: View Post
I've been taking another break from Trek fiction but I just realized the book I've been waiting a year for, Picard and Garak, is now now. Guess I'll be starting the Fall tonight.
Um, actually, I didn't start The Fall until Thanksgiving weekend and I've read the first 3 books.

I like this one a LOT more than Revelation & Dust. I don't think I'm in the camp that likes it more than Neverending Sacrifice but hey, if you feel that way, I'm not going to argue.

I think the only issue I have with the book is one of expectation. I really thought I was going to read a lot of Garak exasperating Picard and that didn't really happen, they got along and worked together. The first sentence of them together was of Picard being put off because Garak had stopped paying attention to him while he was talking but that was fixed up and that was it. But that wasn't the book she was writing so I can't fault the author for that.

I also thought Picards statement at the top of page 15 was interesting "We've instructed our news services to not reveal the content of the treaty". So I guess the Federation news services are stenographers just like the White House press corps.

I thought Garak was dead for like 3 seconds. First I thought are they going to kill off a liked character a book then reread that half a page and said to myself "never mind". I also was also happy to see the Federation not losing every situation to the Typhon Pact. Glad to see things end up on a positive light for the Federation.

Yep, a good book. Series got off to an OK at best start but quickly improved.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote