Thread: Dracula - NBC
View Single Post
Old November 30 2013, 03:45 PM   #58
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dracula - NBC

Yeah, the show is getting better. I am deeply sick of torture scenes as a story device, but Neve McIntosh's monologue to Renfield beforehand was very well-written and well-acted. And there was some excellent direction and camera composition in the Renfield POV shots in the flashback.

I've even warmed somewhat to Jessica DeGouw since the first couple of episodes. I like her better when she's smiling and warm than when she's trying to play a dark, hardened character like Huntress on Arrow. She's not one of the standouts of the cast, but then, neither is Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
For two weeks NBC has been teasing that Dracula was going to slice open Jonathan's neck publicly. And when we got to that scene... someone (Mina, maybe?) only dreamed it.
I saw it as a representation of Dracula's own first impulse of what to do when Jonathan tried to cut in. That kind of fakeout shot is often used to represent the mind's-eye view of a character who wants to inflict violence on someone but keeps that urge in check. It's a way of dramatizing that Dracula was within a hair's breadth of actually killing Jonathan for daring to come between him and Mina.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote