Thread: T.W.O.K vs STID
View Single Post
Old November 27 2013, 03:44 AM   #184
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

I know point-by-point replies can be annoying, but this had me going "but... but... but...!"
I know I won't change your opinion, but I want to offer my two cents.
plynch wrote: View Post
There's lots of action-adventure out there. Watch Die Hard 13 or something.

ST was action-adventure PLUS. Plus heart and character, humanity, what-ifs
What-Ifs like Khan being awoken under completely different circumstances? That's applying Trek's formula to one of it's own greatest creations.
, moral conundrums,
Thomas Harewood's choice at the start of movie, putting his daughter above all else.
Kirk conundrum - should he follow orders and get revenge by nuking Khan from space or go down and arrest him?
big speeches,
Like Kirk's terrorism/revenge speech at the rechristening of the Enterprise a year after the crash.
superego-Kirk embracing id-Kirk,
Spock realizing that he can't shut out his emotions. That shutting out fear and pain means shutting out love as well.
"getting" the Horta,
Understanding Khan's need to save his crew. Seeing him as more than the enemy.
not killing the Gorn,
Kirk not executing Khan from space in violation of orders.
McCoy and Spock burying the hatchet when Kirk's lost in the Tholian web,
Spock realizing Kirk's deep friendship... as he dies.
etc. etc. Yes heavy-handed sometimes, but beautiful at others. I just watched "This Side of Paradise" and the scene in the transporter room with Spock and Leila is really touching. It wasn't just action-adventure, and there's good evidence GR ramped that angle up in response to the network (though "Cage" has action fo sho).

There's way more heart and humanity in TWOK than STID imho. Both have action adventure. TWOK is a great blend/balance, thus its being many people's favorite.

Though I'm not a JJTrek fan, I'll grant you 09 had heart and more character. I agree with those above who think ID is a regression from '09.
I honestly thought ID has the most heart of any Trek movie. It wasn't perfect, but it meant well and had a LOT more to it than Die Hard and it's ilk.