View Single Post
Old November 25 2013, 08:38 PM   #76
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

I finally watched it this evening.

Wow.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it reduced to a blubber of tears, especially with the final scene and the post-credit interviews. What a beautiful film. Not just a story about the beginnings of Doctor Who, but also women in the work place (mostly Verity, but a hint of Delia, too), capturing people's imagination of the space race, and most importantly, the story of the great William Hartnell himself.

David Bradley completely captured the wonderfully cranky charm of William Hartnell and his love for Doctor Who with lots of fun moments like playing "Doctor Who" with the kids in the park, his conversations with his granddaughter, and perfectly stubborn about making sure things were done right on the set. Jessica Raine and Brian Cox were also terrific as Verity and Sydney.

I loved seeing glimpses of An Unearthly Child, The Daleks (although I'm surprised they didn't recreate the iconic Barbara moment), Marco Polo ("Shame it's not in color"), The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Westminster Bridge is cleared off for Daleks again!), The Web Planet, The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve, and The Tenth Planet (the sight of the Cyberman actor smoking a cigarette in costume reminds me of that photo of Kevin "Link" Lindsay smoking a cigarette with Jon Pertwee in costume).

I also loved all of the little cameos from Carole Ann Ford, Anneke Wills, Jean Marsh, William Russell (I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't recognize him at all!), and especially Matt Smith and his silent, respectful appearance.

The post-credit interviews were icing on the cake, especially Jessica Carney and Terrance Dicks.

As much as I loved "The Day of the Doctor" and "The Light at the End" (and "The Night of the Doctor"), An Adventure in Space and Time is my favorite celebration of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, hands down.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote