View Single Post
Old November 24 2013, 06:42 PM   #32
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: More popular worldwide: Trek or Doctor Who?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Tom Baker's overrated, IMO. The Jon Pertwee years are when classic Who was at its prime.
Quite. I never had a particular liking for Tom Baker.

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Dr. Who is much more niche. It may be more "popular" now in that group, but that's only because it is current. It has never been mainstream, especially world-wide, and I don't think it ever will.
Rubbish - when the BBC showed Trek it was buried in the weekday tea-time 'kiddie' slot on the relatively unwatched BBC2. Doctor Who is schedule centre, peak family viewing Saturday evening fayre. There is nothing more mainstream.

Lance wrote: View Post
Even in it's home country (especially in it's home country?) Doctor Who was always seen as something of an embarrassment
No. And yes. It was a huge success and pretty cutting edge in its early days. It was only later in its run that it became something of an underfunded afterthought and lost credibility. I should also point out that Trek was viewed as being less than credible T.V. over here too.

Lance wrote: View Post
Yup, Star Trek all the way. It's a much more recognized global 'brand'.
True.

I should also point out that I am way more of a Trek fan, but it doesn't have to be one or the other...