Thread: TMP on Blu-Ray
View Single Post
Old November 24 2013, 07:17 AM   #107
Lance
Commodore

Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
^ As I understand it, it's more a case of the Blu Ray can't have both, because the assets used for certain brand new special effects sequences in the DE were all done digitally, and those assets no longer exist so they'd have to spend money redoing them with new technology to make them match up to an HD standard. As opposed to the theatical cut, where they just need to run the original negative through a machine to scan it at a higher res. The simple fact is that no 'original negative' of the DE exists because it was an entirely digital production made specifically for the DVD era.

I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
So as usual, it sounds like Paramount are just being a bunch of cheap penny pinching cocks.

I'm glad CBS is doing all the remasterings now. Paramounts needs to jump in a lake.
A version of the Director's Edition would be achievable, but I don't think it necessarily be easy to achieve. It certainly wouldn't be cheap.

It's a shame the DE never got the theatrical release that was rumored for it at the time. Because if it had, they'd have had to strike up a film negative to work from, and that would have made a Blu Ray release a whole lot easier now.

borgboy wrote: View Post
I am still bitter about the blu rays being just the theatrical versions and not the superior director's cuts.
I dispute the contention that the Director's Cut of anything is 'superior'. Certainly in the case of TWOK there's nothing IMO in the so-called 'Director's Edition' which puts it above the theatrical cut. Quite the reverse, I think the additions are entirely superfluous. I'm glad the theatrical cut is the only one on Blu Ray.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote