View Single Post
Old November 23 2013, 11:39 PM   #104
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Day of the Doctor was, overall, lovely. Everything to do with David Tennant and Matt Smith was absolutely fantastic, and Tennant was like he never left. Smith delivered on all fronts, and John Hurt did really, really well - despite not having a WHOLE lot to do, although that was expected as a one-off Doctor. Really, their interaction was the absolute highlight of the whole thing, and everything up until the twist with the Moment was straight perfection...

... but, the twist was iffy, to me. I thought it kinda undermined the journey the Doctor went through from series 1-4B. And I never thought Eleventh forgot about the Time War... just that he moved on, as all people eventually do when given the space and the time to do so (no pun intended). Sure, its great that he wanted to do that, but really, it was just forced.

And to me, it undermined completely the Hurt Doctor. Here's the Doctor at his darkest, and when he makes the decision that will haunt him for three more incarnations. At the very least, I was hoping he'd sacrifice himself for his future selfs, so that they and his past selves can save Gallifrey effectively while preventing the Daleks (or anyone else) from finding out the truth of Gallifrey's dissapearence. That way, he could still have a redeeming (for his wartime activities) ending. His regeneration in his TARDIS doesn't really make sense.

Overall, I really liked it. Its wonderful, until the Zygon threat is dealt with (offscreen, sadly). And the absolute fankwank that is all the Doctors around Gallifrey was fantastic (which reminds me, was the First Doctor's dialogue newly recorded material from John Guilor?). But IMO, this is not anywhere near Moffat's best work - Empty Child, Blink, Eleventh Hour, and yes, even Night of the Doctor... Which reminds me - that prequel WAS better than the actual special, wasn't it?

Still, a really fun evening. Can't wait for the XMas special - or as it may be called, Silence Will Fall (sounds like a good title).
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote