View Single Post
Old November 23 2013, 04:41 PM   #164
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

One thing I wish more gaming and tech sites would focus on is the absurdity that MS released an all-encompassing media box and then put most of the media functionality behind the Xbox Live paywall. The consensus seems to be that the PS4 is the better games console and that the Xbox One is the better media centre, but that's only true if you're willing to pay the subscription. Netflix and other VOD apps are behind the paywall, Skype is behind the paywall, the internet browser is behind the paywall, even the live TV stuff is behind the paywall. With a free account all you can do on the console is play singleplayer games and watch blu-rays, which makes it a pretty crappy media centre.

For someone like me, someone that has little interest in online multiplayer but wants to be able to watch Netflix and use other online services on my TV, the PS4 is the far more attractive option. MS have done a decent job of backtracking on most of their unpopular policies, but until MS backs down on that asinine paywall for third-party services, I'm not even going to consider getting the Xbox One over the PS4.