View Single Post
Old November 23 2013, 08:07 AM   #26
The Overlord
Captain

Re: Was Janeway a hypocrite in Equinox?

Anwar wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
or Species 8472 were planning on destroying the universe, but were wimps who talked a good game, but when Voyager gave them a bloody nose, they turned into total wimps and changed their story.
That's basically it.
1. That is really weak. It turns a scary enemy into total wimps. If they are going to space Nazis, they have to tougher then that. The Nazis did not quit after giving them a bloody nose.

2. That is not made very clear, to the point that I could easily believe the other two theories are just valid. Really Species 8472's story arc was not handled very well and because of that, it is easy to believe Janeway picked the wrong side and Species 8472 were not as bad first appeared.

None of these options reflect well on the writers, two of them make Janeway look really bad and the third one undermines the tension from the Scorpion.
They wanted to wrap up the 8472 thing in a permanent manner, and didn't want to do a big stupid 200 part war story.
Or they could have not had them appear after Scorpion, if they were going to become total wimps and just flat contradict Scorpion. That was a bad and unneeded conclusion, I rather not have seen ever again then have that wrap up.

Besides ongoing story with Species 8472 might have been better then a lot of the bad episodes we got instead, I think I would have preferred that to Unimatrix Zero.

Imagine if the Daleks give up on killing all other forms of life, after the Doctor managed to kill a few of them, they would not be very threatening or manage to become the iconic villains they are.
The Daleks were never stupidly overpowered in the first place, since the Doctor nearly always manages to beat them on his own. They were never introduced as some super-enemy, they became that over decades of stories.

You want to create an iconic villain that can be repeatedly used over and over, you don't make them stupidly overpowered to begin with.
The Daleks are still pretty powerful, they did manage to wipe out the time lords in the time war. Really the Daleks were better realized villains, because the writers didn't try to ret con them into something total different by their fourth appearance.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote