View Single Post
Old November 22 2013, 09:26 PM   #37
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: About the KHAN scream.

Firstly I loved it!

The first time I saw WOK I liked that Kirk scene (still do) but as BillJ has pointed out, it can easily be broken apart and logically the whole scene doesn't make sense. And while I enjoy the scene I can still poke fun at it, and it is obvious that it has become one of if not THE biggest thing in Trek to parody.

That's part of the reason I like the NuScream so much.

That. Took. Balls.

To take something so made fun of, pair with another familiar scene from the same movie and play it dead serious?

I already knew it was coming as I read a ton of spoiler-y nerd rage filled complaints about it in advanced and I couldn't wait to see how good/terrible it would be in the context of the film.

It doesn't give me chills now, but the first time I saw it? CHILLS! Put yourself in the story, remember what Spock has gone through since childhood, to say nothing of the huge chunk of the first film and in story; they emotionally earned that.

You can of course argue the merits of using it in the first place, and ultimately I'd love to know what the exact mindset was, but either knowingly or unknowingly they did a gutsy thing with that scene.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote