View Single Post
Old November 21 2013, 11:51 PM   #29
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Well, a female customer of mine came back today.
She always greatly confuses me.
She is extremely attractive and sexy and acts pretty mature for her age.
Problem is, I know how young she really is. around 18 or 19.
And every time I realize that again I feel so old (am 34) and just scream internally: WHYYYYYY?!
Either I or she was really born in the wrong decade! DAMMIT!
A few years ago (I was 29 at the time.) I was doing this Shakespeare workshop. We were doing AYLI and I was spending a lot of time working with the girl playing Rosalind. I was totally infatuated with her. I thought she was one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. She was smart, funny and really nerdy. She also acted really mature to the point I thought she must have been 24 or 25. Of course, I was brought up to believe asking was rude.

I spent a lot of time with her during "down" time talking about lots of different things from books to sci-fi, and music (she had wonderful taste).

Anyway, it got to one point were we were waiting for the director/instructor. We were sitting on the floor against a wall and she was resting her head on my shoulder. Someone saw us and walked up to me sometime afterwords and said, "You know she's only 17, right?" I had a Wile Coyote moment right there and then.

I do believe in the "age is only a number" axiom but only to a point.

The thing about young/old really is a matter or perception. Had I not been told how old she was, I would have gone on believing she was in her mid twenties. She just didn't seem that "young" to me.

Transversely, I've met people who are in their 20s or even older who I still think of as young because of the way the act.

And because I look a lot younger than I am, I hear people tell me I'm really mature for my age all the time.

Also, *hugs* for J.!