View Single Post
Old November 18 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Watson the most advanced super computer in existence?

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But you have to realize that this does not constitute "intelligence," in the sense of having a will and being able to make totally independent decisions based on accumulated experiential knowledge.
Thanks. So in short we do have the level of 'AI,' [for lack of a better term] that can self-direct and as described in the docu-fiction Alien Planet like a 4 year old must be told what's harmful and what's not but can to some degree 'learn that,' through trial and error?

Unrelated question to the TV show Alien Planet:

Is Watson as sophisticated in your opinion as HAL was as depicted in 2001?

In the show - if you haven't seen it - one of the probes is programmed to take greater risks versus the other probe by the super computer oribiting the planet performing the analysis. And they were programmed with specific objectives e.g. one probe to search for plant life and the other animal life.

I suppose that also could be programmed into our own probes on Mars - to be more cautious versus less in performing autonomous executions?
HAL is more advanced, in AI terms, because it is sentient and has a desire to preserve itself. Watson doesn't even have the sentience of a cockroach. If you went to unplug it, it would do... well, nothing.

It's not difficult to program probes such that some of them will take greater risks than others. Again, these are just decision trees/matrices, which are well-established in computer science and pretty straightforward to quantify.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote