View Single Post
Old November 17 2013, 11:29 PM   #691
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The interior of the TARDIS changes all the time, doesn't it?
Interior decorating. Plus, the TARDIS can reconfigure itself, and there have been instances of parts of it being jettisoned (ie. Romana's bedroom in Logopolis and the Zero Room in Castrovalva). None of that means the different TARDIS interiors take place in different timelines.

The 2005+ Doctor Who requires as much knowledge of the old versions as the 2009 Trek does - nothing. They're both quasi-reboots, each with rich but unnecessary take-it-or-leave-it backstories. Both were intended as fresh starts designed to attract new fans.
The modern Doctor Who is enhanced by knowledge of the Classic Doctor Who stories. For example, the episode where the Doctor meets Sarah Jane in the school, and she tells him he really didn't leave her in Croyden. To really appreciate that, it helps to have seen the episode The Hand of Fear in which the Doctor gets summoned back to Gallifrey and can't take her with him. He promises to take her home, but misses the coordinates.

Recommendation to the people who have seen the new Doctor Who trailer: Watch the Tom Baker-era story Brain of Morbius before you see the upcoming 50th anniversary show. It looks like a marvelous bit of continuity there.
* Bolding mine

So you're not up to eithe "The Doctor's Wife" or "Journey to the Center Of the Tardis yet" or even "The Name Of The Doctor"?
I'm still watching the Tennant stories, and I believe you're referring to Matt Smith stories that I haven't yet seen (or at least not in their proper context - I did see a few in one of the holiday marathons a couple of years ago).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote