View Single Post
Old November 17 2013, 06:13 AM   #71
CrazyMatt
Commander

Re: Commodores in command of Starships?

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
I just recently rewatched "The Doomsday Machine," and after following this thread on commodores, I paid a little closer attention to the episode. I noticed that in the exchange between Decker and Kirk after Kirk discovers Decker has taken command of the Enterprise, Decker reminds Kirk that he is speaking to a senior officer, not a superior officer. That may indicate that Decker may be more of a senior captain with the honorific rank or title of commodore. Just some speculation on my part.
Well, a commodore does outrank a captain... and apparently (at least some) commodores have special prerogatives as well. Remember what Decker says when relieving Spock of command of the Enterprise:

DECKER: Mister Spock, I'm officially notifying you that I'm exercising my option under regulations as a Starfleet Commodore, and that I am assuming command of the Enterprise.

Notice he doesn't say:

DECKER: Mister Spock, I'm officially notifying you that I'm exercising my option under regulations as a Starship Captain, and that I am assuming command of the Enterprise.

So maybe commodores in command of starships do have some sort of command authorities over more than their own ship. Perhaps that's how Wesley exercises control over the other three starships in the attack force.