View Single Post
Old November 17 2013, 03:13 AM   #27
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: Did the Tribbles actually die out by the 24th Century?

Didn't they cover the whole predator issue in the episode itself? From chakoteya.net:

The Trouble with Tribbles wrote:
JONES: Captain Kirk, I'm mystified at your tone of voice. I've done nothing to warrant such severe treatment.
KIRK: Oh, really?
SPOCK: Surely you must have realised what would happen if you removed the tribbles from their predator-filled environment into an environment where their natural multiplicative proclivities would have no restraining factors.
JONES: Of course. What did you say?
SPOCK: By removing the tribbles from their natural habitat, you have, so to speak, removed the cork from the bottle and allowed the genie to escape.
JONES: If by that, you mean do they breed quickly? Of course, that's how I maintain my stock. Breeding animals is not against regulations, only breeding dangerous ones. And tribbles are not dangerous.
KIRK: Just incredibly prolific.
JONES: Precisely, and at six credits a head, well, that is, a body, it mounts up. Now if you'll excuse me.
Just because the Klingons genetically engineered a tribble predator, doesn't mean there were no naturally-occurring tribble predators.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote